What is Plastic Packaging Tax?
- A tax which is not about revenue creation but has more aim in reducing the use of new plastics and increasing plastic recycling.
When will it be implemented?
- In Italy, PPT will be implemented from January 2023.
- In UK, PPT will be implemented from 1 April 2022.
- In Spain, PPT will be implemented in early 2022.
How much is Plastic Packaging Tax?
- The Italian government officially confirmed on the 19th October that the €450/tonne plastic packaging tax will be implemented in January 2023.
- In the UK, the rate of PPT will be £200 per metric tonne of plastic packaging (that contains less than 30% of recycled plastic).
- In Spain the PPT is €450/tonne.
Who is going to shoulder the Plastic Packaging Tax?
- Everyone, from the largest plastic packaging manufacturer to the corner shop customer buying a packet of pasta, will see its effects. Although PPT will be levied on manufacturers and importers (both UK resident and non-UK resident) that manufacture (or import) ten metric tonnes of plastic packaging or more annually, the cost may well be passed along the supply chain to end-consumers.
Address the issue, take the first step – contact www.eurobrandmanagement.com
Euro Brand Management GmbH